What is the best source for the highest quality culture media?

Crystalviolent crystalviolent at aol.com
Sat Sep 1 23:55:41 EST 2001

Hardy Media is the best, the most expensive, and serves the Western US.
I use Remel and BBL media at the various hospitals I work at and much prefer
Remel to BBL. BBL quality is very poor: BAP is thin and the concentration of
sheep blood is low, hemolysis is difficult to determine. Chocolate agar and MAC
are thin and the loop cuts into the media while streaking. CNA regularly grows
Proetus because the colistin and nalidixic acid concentrations are too low to
be inhibitory. I do not see these problems with Remel and it does cost more.