Spor-Klenz and Polysorbate 80 and Lecithin

debra.m.guerra at abbott.com debra.m.guerra at abbott.com
Tue May 29 13:08:25 EST 2001

I am a microbiologist performing a study on the effectiveness of Spor-Klenz
from Steris on different microorganisms on 3 different surface types.    My
protocol calls for me to innoculate my material samples with bacteria then
spray the Spor-Klenz on and let it act for different incubation times.  At the
end of the time, I am supposed to use rodac plates to sample the
microorganisms and let it incubate for 48 hours at 35C.  However, the rodacs
contain TSA with Lecithin and Polysorbate 80.    My concern is that when the
incubation time is up and the sample is still wet with disinfectant, will the
PS80 and Lecithin in the plate neutralize the Spor-Klenz and stop the
activity?  If it doesn't, then I believe my results will be skewed.  If it
does, then i guess i have to wait until the material sample is completely dry
before i sample it?

Any feedback is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Debra M. Arcuri-Guerra