Penicillin: A Paradigm for Biotechnology

Frank Martin frank at general.com.au
Sat May 19 18:54:35 EST 2001

EXACTLY! The Merck company in the USA pioneered the submerged-fermentation
process based on the new strain so making penicillin a practical drug.
It's all in the Florey biography. Inventors and developers seem to be
different species. That uppity little Scot didn't follow up his discovery,
and it was pure chance that Florey took the development up as a research
project. The WWII forced the English to seek American help for large scale
development.

news:AEqN6.437$9x.14773 at www.newsranger.com...