Diagnosis of staph

John Gentile yjgent at home.com
Wed May 2 22:52:58 EST 2001

CNS grows fairly rapidly so 2 days is more than enough. However why are you
asking? We set our time frames by the type of specimen and what organisms we
can expect to cause a problem. Most of the time Coag neg Staph is not
identified to species level and antibiotic sensitivities are not done. We
usually consider it to be normal flora.

In a blood culture we would consider it to be a problem IF there are several
repeat cultures that are positive and the patient had febrile symptoms. We
hold blood cultures for 7 days or until there is growth.

--
John Gentile                                    Rhode Island Apple Group
yjgent at home.com                                      President