Yeast advice needed

martin weiss weissm at rockefeller.edu
Wed May 2 12:11:03 EST 2001

	I am trying to set up an activity for use in our science
museum using yeast and I need some advice on how to get dried yeast
to awaken quickly or a mutant strain that might awaken quicker than
the dried yeast I can purchase. Basically visitors are asked to
determine whether a soil sample has living things in it or not by
first adding water to each. One has an Alka Seltzer tablet ground in
to in and the other has yeast. Then the task is to tell the
difference between a chemical reaction and a reaction due to a living
thing.

	Since the seltzer tablet reacts instantly to the water and
the yeast does not I'd like to find a way of speeding up the yeast
reaction or finding a yeast mutant that evolves carbon dioxide
faster..

Sorry for the cross posting.

Cheers,

Martin