IUBio

pathogens in beer

"bruce pearson IFR bruce.pearson at BBSRC.AC.UK
Mon Jun 4 09:25:47 EST 2001

Dear Troy,
          I read the email and looked up a book I have entitled "Food and
Beverage mycology" It states" With respect to the environment, breweries are
really no different from any other manufacturing establishment producing
edible products. They do differ from most, however, in that commonly
recognized pathogenic microrganisms are rarely of concern, mainly because of
the nature of the raw materials, the manner of processing, and the limiting
environmental characteristics of the final product(ie low pH, high alcohol
concentration and carbon dioxide tension)."

Cheers Bruce

Bruce M Pearson
BBSRC Institute of Food Research
Norwich Research Park