IUBio

dimensions of periplasmic space

Michael Witty mw132 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 29 10:27:29 EST 2001

Dear All,
        does anyone know the width of periplasmic space from gram negative
bacteria?   I am studying the structure of TolA proteins which are
supposed to have a trailing alpha helical region spanning the periplasm
BUT by looking at the E. coli and Pseudomonas sequences I get two
different values for the length and I wonder if this corresponds to two
different periplasmic widths.  I understand there are some measurements
from EM which are not so accurate, but I wonder if anyone knows better
than me.  Regards, Mike.