IUBio

talk.origins probability-abiogenesis FAQ criticized

zOz wissenschaftskritik at my-deja.com
Thu Jan 11 16:13:27 EST 2001

Hi Ian,

because we start from very different premises, it is hopeless
for us to convince one another. You cannot take serious
panpsychism despite the fact that the most revolutionary and
important (by his influence on other scientists) founder of
modern science, Johannes Kepler (1571-1630) was a panpsychist.

http://www.deja.com/=dnc/getdoc.xp?AN=515913346
http://www.deja.com/=dnc/getdoc.xp?AN=569040233 ***
http://www.deja.com/=dnc/getdoc.xp?AN=628287529

On the other side, I cannot take serious your belief that
the information stored in amino acid sequences or DNA
sequences can be enough to explain complex behaviour of
enzymes, let alone instinctive behaviour of animals or even
human self-consciousness.

Darwin says that our ancestors were monkeys. I say we were
these monkeys ourselves. Don't you like the idea that you
were a monkey 10 million years ago?

A quote from http://members.lol.li/twostone/E/reductionism.html

  "Is it by chance that we have been born just in the 20th
  century, in the way other souls were and will be born in
  other centuries? If you already had lived in the times of
  mammoths, would it then be impossible for you to live now?
  Are there any sound reasons suggesting that the souls of
  the dead and the souls of persons not yet born must be
  different from all the souls living now?"

I cannot reply to your criticism* of my critique of your
probability-abiogenesis FAQ without repeating myself. So I
only refer once again to my previous writings, especially from
March 1999: http://members.lol.li/twostone/E/evidence.html

* http://www.deja.com/=dnc/getdoc.xp?AN=714365573

Only one short remark: even if the prebiotic ocean contained
once an amino acid concentration of 10^-6M, it certainly would
have consisted of a racemic mixture of R-forms and L-forms.

By the way, does anybody know an experiment showing relevant
enzymatic activity of proteinoids (surpassing catalytic
activity of atoms and simply molecules) consisting either
of a racemic mixture or exclusively of mirror-form building
blocks? In the case of abiogenesis research, experiments
with mirror forms should be taken more serious, because we
can be rather sure that it is not primarily the work of
preexisting enzymes or ribozymes which is responsible for
the results.

Ian, I'm very grateful for the debates I we've had together.
It is true that I've attacked you several times rather
sharply, but the more serious I take a poster and the higher
his reputation, the less cautious I'm in attacking.

I remain convinced that at the latest in your next life
you will recognize that I'm essentially right.

Good luck!

Cheers, Wolfgang

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/