Sputum for C&S

Dilworth dilworth at megsinet.net
Wed May 31 01:51:48 EST 2000

Wow!  Quite an involved procedure.  Here in the US, most sputum specimens
(coughed, not tracheal aspirates or any type of suction specimens) are gram
stained directly from the specimen container.   If there are >25 epis/low power
field, the specimen is rejected then and there.  Seems pretty dangerous to
openly be messing with sputum, even under a hood.  I've never worked anywhere
that did the wash.  Anyone else out there washing their sputum specimens like
this?  Just wondering.  I have no doubt it works, but in relation to our
extremely heavy workload, I can't imagine taking all this time with one
specimen.

Judy Dilworth, M.T. (ASCP)
Microbiology