Sputum for C&S

Dilworth dilworth at megsinet.net
Sun May 28 12:02:35 EST 2000

How does someone "wash" sputum?  I've never heard of this or done this
(has mental picture of scrubbing, hanging out to dry, etc., :-) :-) -
sorry couldn't resist).  Do you plate sputum specimens anaerobically to
enhance the growth of the S. pneumo?  One of my previous employers used
to put the CNA plate anaerobically for the first 24 hours to make the
mucoid strains more obvious.

Judy Dilworth, M.T. (ASCP)
Microbiology