growth of camphylobacter sp.

Dilworth dilworth at megsinet.net
Sun May 21 11:42:06 EST 2000

One can buy biobags with Campy microaerophilic generators.  You pop your plate (a
Campy selective medium) in the bag, add the generator, seal the bag (you need a bag
sealer), squeeze the generator, wait for the bubbles, and incubate.  Everywhere
I've ever worked the plates are incubated at 42 degrees C.  My current employer
incubates the plates for 48 hours before opening the bag.   At my previous two
employers, (I've had a wonderful decade, folks - what else can I say??)  we had a
jar rigged up to a gas tank with the proper aerophilic mixture.  We put in the
plates, sealed the jar (regular anaerobic jar without the catalyst), then pumped in
the gas until the regulator reached the proper level (it was a homemade affair; one
of the tech's husbands was really good at that sort of stuff) and then incubate.
The jar was inside of a small 42 degree C incubator.  We inoculated a QC plate
daily with a known Campy isolate.  This was subbed to blood agar, 1/2 plate each
day and dated.

Hope this helps.

Judy Dilworth, M.T. (ASCP)
Microbiology (again)