growth of camphylobacter sp.

Gary Lum glum at ozemail.com.au
Sat May 20 07:18:59 EST 2000

HeC wrote:

> Does anyone know if camphylobacter sp. can grow aerobic. If so which media
> should I use. Hoe would the strains look like on specific media ? Here  in
> Denmark we test chicken for salmonella Sp. and should probably start testing
> for Camphylobacter later this year. I know that one should use specific
> anaerob container to do this, but it could be nice to test it together with
> salmonella sp.

I'm not a food microbiologist, but I hope you're going to attempt to grow these
organisms properly, or else no one will want to buy and eat your chickens.

You need a microaerophilic environment as opposed to anaerobic or aerobic
atmosphere.  You can grow on a range of media, and you need to grow at a range
of temperatures since pathogens can grow at at least 25 and 42 degrees celsius.
The optimal temperature changes for some species.  Nice tables can be found in
any edition of the Manual of Clinical Microbiology (ASM Press).  If you want to
buy a copy go to http://www.asmpress.org/.  They're very nice and will help you
with the books you want.

Regards

Gary

Dr Gary Lum, Director of Pathology, Territory Health Services
Rocklands Drive, Tiwi NT 0810, Australia
Tel. 61889228034, Mob. 61419814490, Fac. 61889228843
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~glum/
mailto:glum at ozemail.com.au
Helping requesting practitioners to answer their diagnostic
questions, not just doing pathology tests.