Analysis for Life

Todd Stevens tstevens at oneworld.owt.com
Thu May 18 18:04:39 EST 2000

No. Most bacteria will not grow on a simple plate of rich medium.  Besides, if it
were that simple, what would be the point of the exhibit?

I guess the answer would really depend on what point you ARE trying to get across,
and who the target audience is.

Some off-the-cuff examples:

A simple illustration of the difficulty of detecting microorganisms might be a
microscopic view (even a photograph) of a soil sample.  You see a lot of
strange-looking stuff, but you can't really tell what it is.  A side-by-side view
of the same sample (that has been stained with a specific fluorescent stain) under
epifluorescent illumination shows where the bacteria were "hiding' in the first
picture.

Another point that might be worth illustrating is that there are many different
kinds of metabolism (to kids: adaptations to different worlds, maybe.) and you
only see what you look for.  A sample that contains only E.coli, or the like
would yield colonies on the previously mentioned agar plates, while a sample that
contains far greater numbers of Clostridium or a Methanogen, for instance, would
appear "sterile."  Yet when the same samples are subjected to a different test
(e.g. anaerobic grownth) the results would be completely different.  You have to
learn something about the environment that the sample came from, guess what kind
of metabolism might be possible there, and design tests accordingly.

Another point, ala Viking,  or ALH84001, would be that  organisms make a living by
chemistry, and one must be careful to determine that non-biological chemistry
doesn't give the same result.  (i.e. you have to use controls.)  For example,
samples with a lot of reduced iron (or say highly oxidized iron, & peroxides, as
per Viking) will react with some culture media in ways similar to microorganisms.
One could probably think up a colorimetric reaction that would show this.