Analysis for Life

Hiranya S. Roychowdhury hroychow at nmsu.edu
Thu May 18 12:08:24 EST 2000

You don't need "elaborate" "biochemical" analyses for this. A simple LB
and/or McConkey's (sp?) plate should be enough to show the presence or
absence of bacterial population. To show presence of fungi, you need a
general VM type medium (low pH). I am not sure about protozoans.
Whether ET life behaves the same way is another matter, and is anybody's guess.

At 03:44 PM 5/18/00 +0100, Martin Weiss wrote:

>	Has anyone developed or know of straight forward activities
>with which students can use to differentiate between microbial life
>in sterile and non sterile soil with out involving elaborate
>biochemical analysis that I might be able to adapt for a museum
>exhibition on detection of Extraterrestrial Life?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Martin
>

>Sorry for the cross posting.
>

>Martin Weiss, Ph.D.