Modeling African AIDS

Gerd  gerdn at ibg.uit.no
Tue May 16 04:06:07 EST 2000

----------
In article <20000513211202.20459.00002039 at ng-ba1.aol.com>, yjgent at aol.com
(Yjgent) wrote:

>>Perhaps the differences can be explained by the fact that the predominant
>>strains of HIV differ in North America and Africa?  I have heard that the
>>HIV strain predominant in Africa is *much* more easily transmissable to
>>women.
>
>I thought that was because homosexual sex is almost unheard of in Africa while
>multiple wives and "extra marital" sex is very common. The African strains have
>been cooking along a bit longer than any others.

Maybe "unheard of" means just that, it's never mentioned. That do not have
to mean that it's nonexisting.

Another issue: if we assume HIV was transmitted from animals to people, in
Africa - why do we assume it only have happend once. Maybe what yau mention
below has added more to the epedemia than anyone like to believe.