Pathobiology Questions

Francis Kuttner dirt_spot at yahoo.com
Wed May 10 12:36:38 EST 2000

Hi, sorry about the previous postings, maybe I was a bit too anxious in
hopes of hearing from some of you but no one seemed to want to help me.
I hope that this posting will be more agreeable to you.  Thanks. ~Fran

Genetics
If I am asked to prepare a recombinant DNA library to isolate the
particular gene.  The expressed protein product has commercial value and
I would like the gene cloned to examine the genomic organization of the
DNA.  Which of these vectors could I use? Cosmid, phage, plasmid, BAC,
or expression vector?

Let's say that I have successfully generated the genomic library using
human DNA to isolate the gene that I am interested in....what methods
could I use to screen my library if partial genomic clone is available?
1. Nucleic acid hybridization
2. antibody screening
3. cDNA probe made from mRNA
4. radioactively labeled protein probe
5. cannot screen because no probe is available

To create a genetic linkage map of the human genome, all of the
following are necessary except:
1. physical or molecular markers
2. families to study the segregation of these markers
3. identifiable restriction polymorphisms of DNA markers
4. human genomic libraries
5. complete DNA sequence of the marker being used

Are mouse models useful in testing efficiency of gene therapy?

Chip technology is useful for all of the following except:
1. to measure RNA levels for the complete set of transcripts from an
organism
2. to evaluate several mutations at the same time for a gene
3. genotyping
4. drug sensitivity in bacteria
5. phenotyping

T or F: In reference to ploidy studies, a diploid population is referred
to as "2N" because it has twice as much DNA as the normal G0/G1
population which is said to be "1N".