vancomycin-eating bacteria

Yjgent yjgent at aol.com
Tue May 9 20:25:35 EST 2000

>What kind of bacteria?  VRE, or vancomycin resistant enterococci are
>isolated in many laboratories nowadays, unfortunately.  Don't know about
>the "eating" comment; sounds rather unmicrobiological to me

There was an Enterococcus sp. isolated at the Rhode Island Hospital that was
not only resistant to vancomycin, but only grew around the vancomycin disk on
the Mueller Hinton agar. I can't remember where they isolated it from, but the
infection cleared up when they withdrew the vanco.
John Gentile M(ASCP)                   President - Rhode Island Apple Group
yjgent at aol.com
Microbiologists do it with culture.