Mycobacterium cookii

Richard Oeffner roeffner at csusm.edu
Tue May 9 12:18:55 EST 2000

I recently purchased ATCC 49103, the type strain of M. cookii.  I am
having a problem with this strain.

It seems to grow rapidly, i.e. in approximately 48-72 hours on 7H10
plates. All of the literature I can find on this (Kazda, J. et
al 1990, IJSB) indicates that it can take up to 4 weeks at 31C to form
colonies. The colonies fit the desription in the literature,
but I haven't started any other tests yet.

I was wondering if anyone has used this strain or has any ideas as to
why it seems to be growing so quickly. Any help would e
appreciated.

Richard Oeffner
CSUSM
Chemistry dept. Sci 115