How to identify Proteus

Yjgent yjgent at aol.com
Mon Jun 26 20:23:52 EST 2000

>Hi group
>How do I identify Proteus ? They make a false positive Salmonella, and I
>have to wait 14 days for a identification after sending them to a reference
>lab.
>thanks in advance
>Hec

If you use any kind of blood agar most Proteus will swarm all over the plate
and any other organisms that are there. It also has a unique odor that is only
associated with Proteus.

A proper ID of Proteus needs at a minimum:
Non-lactose colony on MacConkey's or EMB agar,
TSI = Alkaline slant, acid butt, Gas +, H2S+,
Urea = +
Motiltiy = +
Ornithine + and Indole - = Proteus mirabilis
Ornithine - and Indole + = Proteus vulgaris
Ornithine + and Indole + = Proteus penneri

John Gentile M(ASCP)                   President - Rhode Island Apple Group
yjgent at aol.com
Microbiologists do it with culture.