fungal storage

Austin Reade rbs at hfx.andara.com
Mon Jun 26 19:50:10 EST 2000

Some sources of information:

"Fungi and Food Spoilage" by John Pitt & Ailsa Hocking.  I have the first
edition (1985 Academic Press) which has a page and a half on storage methods
including freezer, lyophilising, liquid nitrogen.  A second edition of this
book is now in print.

The CBS has some publications (some downloadable) on mold storage.  Go to
www.cbs.knaw.nl.

The Commonwealth Agricultural Bureau offers a manual on fungal maintenance:

The Preservation and Maintenance of Living Fungi by D. Smith and A.H.S.
Onions (1994) 122 pages ISBN 0 85198 902 0.    Go to
www.cabi.org/bioscience/mycopub.htm#hand .  I think you may have to buy this
one.

One method not mentioned by Pitt & Hocking is storage in sterile water.  I
once worked with someone who kept his mycorrhizal stock cultures this way.

I used the sterile oil method years ago and it is indeed messy.

Common fungi in the genera Aspergillus, Penicillium, Cladosporium will keep
a long time just on agar slants which are sealed against dessication.

--
Austin Reade, PhD, RSM(CCM)
Reade BioSciences Inc                 phone (902)423-8369
Halifax, NS, B3H 3P3 Canada      email rbs at hfx.andara.com

news:8j7l80$n4o$1 at diana.bcn.ttd.net...