>>1- How long does it take for mold to grow on nylon at room temperature
>in a wet environment?
A: The environmental molds can take a long time to grow, but the situation they
are in can keep them alive for a long time. When I had to pack army tents in
the rain we had to make sure that as soon as the sun came out we put the tents
out to dry. They told us not to leave them packed wet for more than 5-7 days.
>>2- Does these molds represent a potential health risk for the children
>who will sleep in those tents? (some of the mold spot had the colonial
>morphology of penicilium notatum or aspergillus niger. I know we can't
>make positive affirmation from colonial morphology but I wht I've found)
A: I would have guessed a mildew type mold to grow on that at room temp. But
anyone that has an alergy to mold would have some kind of allergic response -
headache, runny nose, itchy eyes etc.
>3- How can we get rid of the mold and the spores without transforming
>the tents in a big slimy plastic puddle?
A: A campers supply store should be able to advise you what to use and not ruin
your tents. Probably a soapy solution with 2% bleach would work.
Hope this helps.
John Gentile M(ASCP) President - Rhode Island Apple Group
yjgent at aol.com
Microbiologists do it with culture.