Different counts in MacConkey Agar

Yjgent yjgent at aol.com
Fri Jun 2 22:14:09 EST 2000

>and we actually QC the media.
>The joy of making MacConkey broth.
>Choking on clouds of sodium taurocholate and everybody complaining about
>the
>smell,
>happy days.

AH yes, those were the days - burned agar, boiled over flasks, chocolate agar
that is not chocolate enough. It was a good background, but I'm glad it's
behind me now. Too bad the new kids don't make media and clean glassware
anymore.

Anyway, I used to test potable water from drilled wells. We used the Standard
Methods manual for any procedures. We started with the MPN and I really hated
that. We then went to the filter method, drawing 100cc through a gridded filter
(.2 or .4 micron - I can't remember). Then we placed the filter onto fresh
Levine EMB and counted "green sheen" colonies as coliforms.
John Gentile M(ASCP)                   President - Rhode Island Apple Group
yjgent at aol.com
Microbiologists do it with culture.