Salmonella sp. vs. Proteus

Yjgent yjgent at aol.com
Fri Jan 21 21:28:47 EST 2000

<<
Proteus is urease positive, Salmonella never is. Using urea broth together
with TSI or Kligler is a common method. Never fails. Citrobacter is
lysine-decarboxylase negative, but that test gives some people problems.

Loes
________________________

Also, Citrobacter is a lactose fermenter so it will be a pink colony on
MacConkey's Agar or be positive in an ONPG test.

hec wrote:

> Hi does anyone know a good quick method, how to identify eg, Proteus
> Mirabilis and Citrobacter without any fancy equipment. I make Salmonella
> samples ( from poultry) every day, but often I get false results in Triple
> Sugar Iron. It would help me if I could identify Proteus M in the lab,
> instead of spending a lot of money in sending the samples in for futher
> identification. ( The danish law says that every Salmonella suspect sample
> should be sent in for identification.)
> Thanks
> Helle Christensen
> helle_christensen at mail.tele.dk

John Gentile M(ASCP)                   President - Rhode Island Apple Group
yjgent at aol.com
Microbiologists do it with culture.