Industrial Microbiologist

Dr Mike Cresswell 100642.2763 at CompuServe.COM
Mon Jan 17 18:58:56 EST 2000

Dr. MICHAEL ALAN CRESSWELL

4 Leigham Court, Clyde Road, WALLINGTON, SM6 8PX, UK.
Telephone: Home: +44 (0) 20 8647 7646 Work: +44 (0) 20 8773 5348
E-mail: Home: Mike_Cresswell at compuserve.com  Work:
Mike.Cresswell at nstarch.com

Profession:		Microbiologist

Qualifications:			PhD Biological Sciences studying the immobilisation of actinomycetes 			in a fluidised bed bioreactor to improve productivity - 						Manchester Polytechnic, 1991.

				M.I. Biol. (Hons.) 2.1 in Microbiology - Manchester 						Polytechnic, 1985

				HND in Applied Biology with Microbiology and Analytical 					Biochemistry - Sheffield City Polytechnic, 1983.

Affiliations:			Chartered Biologist, Member of the Institute of Biology.
				Society for General Microbiology.
				International Biodegradation Research Group.
				Biodeterioration Society.

Nationality:			British.

Date of Birth:			23rd December 1962.	Marital Status:		Single

Key Experience

I am a Chartered Biologist with more than 10 years experience in the field of microbial control and microbicide applications in polymer dispersions and related industries. My main roles include product preservation, manufacturing plant hygiene at 14 production sites throughout Europe and solving customers' microbiological problems by the scientific application of a wide range of speciality microbicides. Throughout my time in these industries, I have developed a broad knowledge of the application of microbial control techniques in:

product preservation
manufacturing hygiene
chemistry and a range of analytical techniques and methodology

I have experience of a range of industry sectors including adhesives, paints and coatings, textiles, paper, glass fibre; as well as microbicides and preservation, disinfection and hygiene and numerous consultancies in various fields.

Professional History

1989-present:
Microbiology Manager, Vinamul/National Starch & Chemical Europe.

As Microbiology Manager I provide technical advice on all aspects of microbiology and manufacturing plant hygiene through on-site surveys, carry out laboratory work and have access to a wide range of microbicides to solve problems.  I pride myself in being able to provide trouble-shooting and cost effective solutions for external and internal customers in relation to plant hygiene, production preservation and education in microbiology and spoilage.  I have also demonstrated knowledge in the principals of HACCP which has become an important aspect of my role in recent years due to environmental pressures and customer requirements for "preservative-free" systems.

Recent projects have included:

* implementation of HACCP for a water-based adhesive manufacturing facility.
* technical advice on microbial problems associated with bulk storage tanks and container      sterilisation and road tankers.
* alternative safer preservation strategies for textile applications.
* involvement in the IBRG to develop a standard method for preservative challenge testing for polymer dispersions.
* involvement in EDANA to develop a standard method to demonstrate textile material resistance to spoilage.
* technical advice on improving hygiene for an industrial starch production facility to reduce product spoilage.
* industrial supervisor to two PhD students working on projects to determine the biodegradability of polyvinyl acetate.

Additional skills acquired include:

* Computer based training in Microsoft Office Applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), Lotus Smartsuite Applications (123, Freelance Graphics, ccMail, Notes),  WordPerfect, and Dbase III+ as well as use of a Local Area Network.
* Project Management, including the use of Microsoft Project and Lotus Notes.
* Business Presentation Skills for effective presentations.
* Management Development Training on objective setting, leadership and decision making, time management, motivation, appraisal processes and managing people.
* Priority Management and time management.
* Knowledge and use of SAP business systems.
* Coaching and supervisory training.
* Team-working.
* Total Quality Management procedures and practices and being involved in various quality improvement groups.
* Various safety training courses including COSHH, safety auditing, job safety analysis, work equipment, fire safety.

1985 - 1989:	PhD, Manchester Polytechnic (sponsored by SERC)

A three year study into the immobilisation of actinomycetes for use in a fluidised bed bioreactor to improve productivity using cellulase production as a model system.  The project demonstrated that actinomycetes can be immobilised onto inert support particles by their inherent natural adhesive ability such that microbial biomass can be retained in the bioreactor and allowing greater productivity.  Though a model system was employed this study demonstrated potential for a commercially important group of microorgansims, namely those which are major antibiotic producers.

1985 - 1988:	Part-time Lecturer/Demonstrator, Manchester Polytechnic

Lecturing in microbiology to undergraduate students and running and organising the practical classes as well as assisting in other practicals and seminars.

Other Skills:

Knowledge of computers (See software applications used above).
I hold a clean full driving licence.
Knowledge of written and spoken French.

Scientific Publications:

A separate list of scientific publications is avaialable upon request.

Interests and Hobbies

My main interests outside of work are of a sporting and outdoor nature.  I regularly walk and enjoy long-distance rambling and fell-walking in the countryside and visiting places of interest.  I also enjoy travelling and visiting new places both in the UK and abroad.

I am a keen runner and am a member of the local Athletic Club through which I enter various races from 10 kilometres to half-marathons and marathons.  I also keep fit by going to the local gym where I complement my running with weight-training using the fitness apparatus.  In the running club, Collingwood A.C., I am the Honorary Treasurer and on the Committee.

I also like to keep abreast of current affairs as well as enjoy reading for relaxation and I also enjoy going to the theatre.

Referees:
Dr. David B. Farmer			Dr. Peter C. Gowland
Research Manager				School of Biology
Vinamul Limited				Staffordshire University
Mill Lane					College Road
CARSHALTON				STOKE-ON-TRENT
Surrey SM5 2JU				ST4 2DE

--