E-Test

Sak sak at execpc.dot.com
Sat Jan 15 21:11:27 EST 2000

On Sat, 15 Jan 2000 07:20:26 +0800, "Chong Wai Yin( Zhang Weixian)"
<wychong at singnet.com.sg> wrote:

>Hi, is anyone familiar with a commercial kit for detecting MRSA? It goes by
>the name of E-Test from AB Biodisk. Can anyone tell me the cost of this
>E-test or which is distributing it in South East Asia or Singapore?
>Another thing is, is there a way that one can chelate away citrate? Eg Ca++?
>Thanks for helping me out.
>
>Regards,
>Kelvin
>-- For Nature, heartless, witless Nature
>   Will neither know nor care.
>   And from my pillow, looking forth by light
>   Of moon or favouring stars, I could behold
>   The antechapel where the statue stood
>   Of Newton with his prism and silent face,
>   The marble index of a mind for ever
>   Voyaging through strange seas of Thought, alone. --

The E-test is useful if an actual MIC is needed, but it takes 18-24
hour incubation. If MRSA or no MRSA is all you're looking for, Becton
Dickenson has a product through their BBL line called Crystal MRSA
that can be read in 4 hours by UV. I've helped implement the use of
this product in the clinical lab I work in and have found it quite
useful. Most of the time, it is used for detection and isolation of
MRSA for infection control.

I have no idea on the price or distribution in your area, but BD is
pretty global in its distribution. I do believe that they have some
facility in Singapore.

See http://www.bdms.com/industrial/products/id/mrsai.html for more
information.

Mark Sakowski