Oversupply of Ph.D.s in Canada?

Mr. M.J. Lush mlush at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Thu Jan 13 03:37:25 EST 2000

In article <387ddb4c.1597233 at news.rdu.bellsouth.net>,
Dr. David M. Johnston <dmj7 at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>On 12 Jan 2000 11:22:03 GMT, mlush at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk (Mr. M.J. Lush)
>wrote:
>>	When I applied for my PhD I knew that I would be reducing
>>my lifetime earnings potential and entering a lifestyle with
>>no security and no career structure.
>
>You're telling us that had you not earned a PhD, you'd be facing a
>life with a higher earnings potential and higher job security?

	A PhD should take 3 years,  with a good grant thats a
total takehome pay of about 6,000 pounds a year.  If I had taken
a 'graduate job'  I could expect at least 12,000 pa.  Over 3 years
thats a difference of 18,000L (in fact rather more, an overdraft of 2000+
is not unusual).  If I remain in my current career (academic research)
its going to be a long time before I get my 18,000 back,   and as for
higher job security??   HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

>Did your committee know this before they granted you the degree?

	Yes they did.

>>The reason I did it was because
>>I wanted to do (biological) research above all else and was willing
>>to sacrifice monetary reward to do it.
>
>How noble of you.  I can tell the world is already a better place
>because of your martyrdom.

	I don't know I think its rather a worse place I could have
gone off and used my time to do something worthwhile.

>>Doing a PhD is as vocation
>>not a career choice.
>
>A PhD is not a vocation as it may be earned in any one of countless
>fields of study.

	Hmmm perhaps vocation was the wrong choice of words but
given the choice between a PhD and a BSc (with 3 years in hand)
I'd advise the BSc

--

Michael              Ban DHMO Now!!   <http://www.dhmo.org/>