Oversupply of Ph.D.s in Canada?

Placid Ol' Dingo pod at karsh.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 12 12:44:19 EST 2000

Arthur Sowers <arthures at magpage.com> wrote:

> I have heard a few remarks that a poorly written cover letter and
> CV/resume, or one with lots of spelling and grammar mistakes will not get
> any sympathy by a reader, so those are the places one should be doing the
> proofreading and using the spell checkers (and maybe even getting another
> person to proofread what you are producing).

Especially when applying for a position for which there are likely to be
a large number of other well-qualified candidates, as is the case for
most post-doc applications. Hence my assertion that "prospective
post-docs who exhibit bad spelling or grammar will be at a disadvantage
when job hunting in a competitive market".