Oversupply of Ph.D.s in Canada?

Only T nobooze4u at OOPSworldnet.att.net
Wed Jan 12 11:26:41 EST 2000

x-no-archive: yes
"Mr. M.J. Lush" wrote:

> In article <Kux7OBWISsIFE=3c49mD+MFpr4=7 at 4ax.com>,
> Bruce D. Winningham  <102742.3221 at compuserve.com> wrote:
> >On 11 Jan 2000 16:01:26 GMT, mlush at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk (Mr. M.J. Lush)
> >wrote:
> >
> >>IMHO in the UK Ph.D's are a sort cheap labour,  payed less than
> >>a technition and expected to do a PostDoc job.
> >
> >Why would someone want to go through the trouble to get a PHd. then?
>
>         Because the system relies of the goodwill and ignorance of
> graduates who idealistically want to do research above all else.
> (afterwards when they've had the idealism thesised out of them
> the sensible ones leave science and get a job in the City).
>
>         When I applied for my PhD I knew that I would be reducing
> my lifetime earnings potential and entering a lifestyle with
> no security and no career structure.  The reason I did it was because
> I wanted to do (biological) research above all else and was willing
> to sacrifice monetary reward to do it.

Bingo! Right you are--theoretically. However, government supported
science today is just another kind of industrial activity, which is to
say, it's not based on what people feel is their calling. That is, a
feel of calling wouldn't hurt of course, but by itself it will be
insufficient to support the activity--just like you wouldn't be able to
run a grocery store if you waited until you find enough people who feel
their goal in life is to work as clerks. Realistically, you would have
to spell out the pay, benefits, etc., so as to attract people who can do
the work and would be willing to--in exchange for what you offer--not
out of spiritual fanaticism. However, it would be beneficial for you to
support, abet, and stimulate the appearance and growth of such
fanaticism in people, since that would increase your chances of hiring
anyone at all, as well as diminish the wages you would have to pay.

> Doing a PhD is as vocation not a career choice.
That is what I, realistically speaking, disagree with.