Oversupply of Ph.D.s in Canada?

Dr. David M. Johnston dmj7 at bellsouth.net
Thu Jan 13 09:07:34 EST 2000

On 12 Jan 2000 11:22:03 GMT, mlush at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk (Mr. M.J. Lush)
wrote:

>	When I applied for my PhD I knew that I would be reducing
>my lifetime earnings potential and entering a lifestyle with
>no security and no career structure.

You're telling us that had you not earned a PhD, you'd be facing a
life with a higher earnings potential and higher job security?
Did your committee know this before they granted you the degree?

>The reason I did it was because
>I wanted to do (biological) research above all else and was willing
>to sacrifice monetary reward to do it.

How noble of you.  I can tell the world is already a better place
because of your martyrdom.

>Doing a PhD is as vocation
>not a career choice.

A PhD is not a vocation as it may be earned in any one of countless
fields of study.

David Johnston
dmj7 at bellsouth.net