Anti-biotics and virus infections

David Johnston johnstd at labcorp.com
Wed Jan 12 17:46:57 EST 2000

Laboratory Corporation of America.
LabCorp Clinical Trials Division provides biomedical laboratory
testing services for all phases of drug development, from safety
testing to molecular virology prognostics to viral genotyping.

My comment was in relation to the original post... which was why
clinicians often treat influenza with antibiotics.  Someone had
replied with an honest effort, albeit wrong, speculating about the use
of antibiotics in animal feeds...

to which you replied with an unnecessarily obnoxious discourse on the
complexity of the intestinal biology of feed animals.

IMO, the response can match the query, regardless of how brilliant you
are.  A suitable answer may have been, "The antibiotics are used as
chemoprophylaxis to prevent otitis media or bacterial sinusitis, which
are common secondary infections often seen with the flu.
As for animal feed, there are many uses of antimicrobials in feed, not
the least of which is enriching populations of desired commensals,
which can also be achieved by several probiotic strategies."

Two sentences that answer the question without bashing the questioner.

It's not in anyone's best interest to intimidate a student asking a
question.  In several posts, I've seen you go out of your way to
chastise a poster when you could have more easily answered the
question with fewer words.

Rather than putting yourself on a pedestal, why not make use of your
knowledge in a positive manner?  I find it hard to believe that you
yourself have always been so well informed.  Chances are, you got help
from someone like myself rather than being discouraged by someone like
yourself during your education.

Best wishes,
David M. Johnston, Ph.D.
Chief Scientific Officer
LabCorp Clinical Trials
johnstd at labcorp.com

On 11 Jan 2000 16:32:23 GMT, katzday at tamu.edu (spotsnall) wrote:

>O.K., my mistake about Bell South.
>
> So what is LCA? Where are you located? What does the company do? Why do you
>think
>you think the antibitics issue in animal feed is "simple."
>
>THe growth promoting effects of antibiotics to my knowledge are not simple
>matters.  SO, if I am wrong, please provide a short statement of how I am
>wrong or why you think I am wrong.
>.
>I'm serious here. I'm not trying to razz you or cause a flame war or anything
>like that at all.
>
>My workunit is embarking on several projects related to antimicrobial
>resistance issues and animal feed issues.  We are also concerned with
>probiotics and their ability to both promote growth and to limit establishment
>of pathogens in food animals.
>
>So, while it might at first glance appear (seeing that we somehow got off
>on the wrong foot) that we don't agree on things, I suspect we probably
>do.
>
>Looking forward to hearing from you.

David Johnston
dmj7 at bellsouth.net