Bacillus species in food

ianj ianj at zipworld.com.au
Fri Jan 7 00:33:52 EST 2000

I am trying to get some up to date information (or any old information!) on
Bacillus species involved in food spoilage. I'm interested in references to
reviews, papers or books on:

taxonomy of Bacillus- especially the way the genus has now been separated
into about 6 genera- what are the features that distinguish these genera?

metabolism of Bacillus- what are the main end products of carbohydrate
utilisation? acid? gas?
how many species are proteolytic? to what extent?

What foods are known to be spoiled by Bacillus contamination? I know about
canned foods and also formation of rope in bread- but are there others?

look forward to your response

Ian Jenson