Mycoplasma, AIDS, Gulf War

Graham Shepherd muhero at globalnet.co.uk
Thu Jan 6 17:46:15 EST 2000

lamb <L.A.M.Buisman at cable.A2000.nl> wrote in message
news:3874EE27.ABD2C249 at cable.A2000.nl...
> Neil McKenna wrote:
>
> > Mycoplasma is an odd type of bacterium that has absolutely NO cell wall.
> > There are two main members of the species: M. pneumoniae (causes
> > pneumonia, usually in immunosuppressed individuals) and M. genitalium
> > (causes an STD (I'm not sure which one)).
> >
> > I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities to see infections
> > of either mycoplasma  in AIDS patients, considering they're
> > immunosuppressed.

I'd think it would be impossible to avoid, given the carriage rate of
mycoplasma in the population.

> There are many more Mycoplasma's. Hominis, fermentans, also some
plant-pathogens
> if I remember right.The one that is by some thought to have a relationship
(or
> even the cause!) of AIDS is a completely different one, I forgot the name.
The
> Gulf War Mycoplasma is that same one or a different one again. In
Amsterdam a lot
> of people have vague symptoms of all sorts (lungs, joints, etc.) after a
Boeing
> crashed on a flatbuilding in 1992. Some people claim that the Gulf War
Mycoplasma
> or a related one is the cause.
>
> Loes

And if you want to delve into the history, look for references to PPLO's,
bacterial L-forms and don't forget the ureaplasmas either.

GS