Mycoplasma, AIDS, Gulf War

Thomas Keske TKeske at mediaone.net
Thu Jan 6 05:54:30 EST 2000

If anyone here wants to make an intelligent critique for a change,
here is a question:

I've barely started to look into "mycoplasma", after having seen
references to mycoplasmas relating to AIDS and Gulf War.

I initially had an impression that "mycoplasma" was something new or
exotic.   After looking a bit more, I'm getting the impression that it is
something old and commonplace.

I'm also getting the impression that "mycoplasma", apparently long known
most as a cause of a type of pneumonia, might be too broad of a category for
it
to meaningful to evaluate the state of "general" knowledge about them.

To what degree are different mycoplasmas tied together with similar
properties that distinguish them as a unique type of pathogen?

Or is this so broad of a grouping, that the only fruitful course of
investigation
would be to look at  the history of experiments with very specific
mycoplasmas,  not mycoplasmas in general?

By the way, I am not trying here so much to be "expert witness"
microbiologist, as I am trying to be a lawyer for the prosecution,
with a specific goal of influencing the jury for a conviction.

If I had an OJ Simpson jury, I would probably try to put every
bit of research in its worst possible, most suspicious light.  If there
is research related to "infectious infertility", I would remind them
of the South African scientists trying to sterilize blacks, etc.

I'm sure that you hate lawyers (so do I).  So sue me.  Actually,
don't try to sue me- I'm a "lawyer," and you'll get burned.  It is a lesson
of why your society should not make their job so easy, with
the racist hate of authority figures.

It is inevitable that there is a degree of "advocacy".  You are
hypocritical to pretend that your profession does not exhibit
the very same thing.    You try to make profit, please your sponsors,
get new funding, etc.

In a way, it is not so bad.  You have two advocates, on two sides,
trying to frame everything as best they can to persuade a jury.
Truth can tend to fall out even from mutually biased presentations
(excluding instances like the OJ trial, where resentment and
suspicion carry the day).

I have a bottom-line conclusion of probable guilt in human
actions precipitating the AIDS epidemic.  I will pursue aggressively,
like a prosecting attorney, giving no benefit of doubt, trying to make
the case as incriminating as possible.  No apologies for that- the
propaganda power of our government is tremendous compared
to mine, and they have all the advantages.    What will give me
advantage is the fact of a toxic-waste dump of a right-wing
GOP, brimming with outright hate-mongers:    may the
OJ phenomenon carry the day, but this time for a truth instead
of a travesty.

Tom Keske