IUBio

Stenotrophomonas maltophilia

R Molony molab at ww.co.nz
Fri Jan 22 08:55:53 EST 1999

Martina Diehl & Michael Wittmann <wittmann at scm.de> wrote:

>I have a problem with the germ Stenotrophomonas maltophilia. It is very
>difficult to detect this germ early in products, which contain the
>adjuvants aluminiumhydroxid. Just after a few days the germ begin to
>grow. Could it be, that the adjuvants binds/absorbs the microorganisms
>in a way it binds/absorbs antigen? Will the germ be inhibit by the
>adjuvants? Can anyone help?

Aluminium ions are able to bind to negatively charged sites on protein
molecules. As aluminium ions have a multiple negative charge and the
charged sites on proteins are singly charged. The effect of aluminium
on a protein is to alter the point negative charges on the protein
molecule to positive charges. This obviously would alter the
antigenicity of the protein.
Bob