IUBio

Vibrio alginolyticus

Matthew Torbert mdt2 at webtv.net
Sat Jan 9 18:37:49 EST 1999

All organisms in this group are able to grow in media containing
increased salt concentrations(except V. cholerae & V. mimicus).  All
vibrios grow on nonselctive media(ie BAP), but an enrichment broth
particularly useful for detection of vibrios is alkaline peptone
water(pH 8.4).  To ensure proper isolation of the vibrios use the
selctive media(TCBS) as soon as possible after 6 hours of incubation(at
35 C) to prevent overgrowth of other bacteria.  After 18 to 24 hours'
incubation at 35 C in air, sucrose-fermenting vibrios(V. alginolyticus)
appear as medium-sized, smooth, opaque, thin-edged yellow colonies on
TCBS agar.
Eiken(Japan) producs a highly reguarded product.  Media produced by
Oxiod Ltd. in England is also reguarded highly.   Now as to where you
are going to obtain you specimen from I can't help you with that really.
You could possible try  Becton-Dickson(they provide my facility with our
QC organisms), a local hospital, or another microbiological facitlity.