IUBio

life (GAIA)

jayakumar jakku at mrna.tn.nic.in
Tue Jan 5 12:16:01 EST 1999

Dear Ariel/Jaime
   Namaste to you too...:-)   Great to know that there are still some people
interested in metaphysics and such , or shall we call it metabiology (beyond
biology).  From your mail, I suspect that you may have come across
"Perennial Philosophy" written by Alvin toffler.  If not you should try
reading it.  It is a very good study on religion ( Please note that I mean
religion not in relation to God but in a philosophical point of view.)  I
came across this Gaia hypothesis when I was doing my B.Sc. during the late
80s.  But I too, like you, could not get enough books on it. Later on, I
came across an article in one of our newspapers regarding this.  The
hypothesis borders on the philosophical and I found it very thought
provoking.  Imagine comparing all life forms as parts of a larger macrocosm,
all symbiotically inclined towards each other.  After all symbiosis is
always a preferred trait in evolution rather than parasitism.  James
Lovelock and Lyn Margulis tries to define evolution itself as a saga of
trials and errors in Gaia's attempts to find a perfect symbiotically working
megaorganism which will balance itself out.  So evidently human beings are
not exactly what Gaia needs.  Anyway, we have been here only for a short
time,  and Lovelock argues that if we prove to be the spanner in the works,
Gaia will remove us to be replaced with some other more compatible unit,
just like we remove a thorn from our leg.  One of Issac Asimov's last books
on the "foundation" series is based purely on this hypothesis.  I have the
book with me.
    for an answer to all your questions, I think you should try to read the
Bhagwadh Gita, which itself is nothing but philosophy.  You will be able to
understand, that the purpose of life is not just to pray and believe in God
and such.  Actually you need not even be a God believer to be a good man.
The whole purpose is defined in several of the yogas or duties or sacrifices
defined in it.  Gita defines life as nothing but an illusion (maya).  You
should try to read the book "illusions" by Richard Bach regarding this.
After all,isn't all existance nothing but the sum total of our senses?  If
our senses do not exist, will we know whether we exist or whether even the
universe exists? I don't think we can.  This may be from the philosophers
point of view.  But from the biological point of view, life is still a sum
total of the senses.  The purpose of life in any organism is the
perpetuation of the organism and its survival.  Anything else we do, like
inventions, wars, peace, studies, reproduction, space travel etc. etc.. all
go towards this end, and to the final purpose of Gaia and its search for
equilibrium among the life units
    I think you can suggest me some website where I can get more information
regarding this hypothesis.  I am very interested in this but not getting any
information from the net.
love
jakku
********************
R. Jayakumar, CSIR-SRF,
School of Biotechnology,
Madurai Kamaraj University,
Madurai - 625021.
India
tel: +91-452-858464(hostel), 858471(ask for 374 to lab)
fax: +91-452-859105
email: jakku at mrna.tn.nic.in
VISIT MY WEBSITE AT http://members.tripod.com/~jakspage