Quest for Cheap Agar - Agar

lotus Lotus at mystical.anon
Tue Aug 31 10:19:20 EST 1999

Jack Cass wrote:

> Go to any Chinese (Oriental)  Grocery store. Agar is a staple in
> Eastern food preparation. Food grade agar should be soaked in COLD
> distilled water overnight in the refrigerator to remove salt and water
> soluble carbohydrates. Pour off the water and add media components.
> Pre-weigh the "raw" agar, 20 grams, for each liter of media you want
> to prepare.  RR
> On Wed, 25 Aug 1999 00:30:22 GMT, "Philip Senger"
> <badant at mediaone.net> wrote:
>

> >Help...
> >
> >Im trying to cultivate mycelium and I need
> >cheap Agar-Agar. I already have the DME
> >so Im looking for pure Agar.
> >
> >Any suggestions or alternatives? I found the
> >following prices but in my opinion they are
> >astronomical, considering what Agar is.
> >
> >Fungi-Perfecti - $39.95 for 1/2lb
> >Mycelium Fruits - $ 28.00 for 1/2lb
> >Mushroompeople - $35.00 for 1/2lb
> >
> >Any response or suggestion appreciated...
> >- fini -
> >

> --
>  Robert Randolph    Randolph Biomedical
>  21 McElroy Street   West Warwick, RI 02893
>      401-826-1407   microbiology at usa.net
> .
That is interesting. I have used little packets of agar from Asian
markets for some time now. I have not noticed any problems, the agar is
very white, so I guessed it was quite pure.

I read a post where Dr. Charles mentioned problems with using this type
of agar. What exactly is the problem with minerals and carbs? You add
them when you mix in dextrose, malt and other amendments. If there is a
problem, I will start leaching the agar before I mix next time.

Thanks for the information!