Diesel fuel bug

diawa wlogsdon at erols.com
Sat Aug 28 20:08:26 EST 1999

I work with a guy who has a sailboat with a small inboard engine.  He told
me that the first year he had it he pulled it out of the water for the
winter and left diesel in the tank.  In the spring he found that the engine
wouldn't run very long because the fuel filter clogged up so fast.  After a
couple of filters, He dumped the old fuel and cleaned the tank with some
marine product he bought.  He described the stuff clogging the filters as
"slime".  Apparently it's a common problem.  I don't know if it grows in
gasoline.

    On the other hand I had oil heat at home for 30 years.  #2 heating oil
is very similar to diesel and kerosene.  A couple of hundred gallons would
sit in the tank unused from say May to October and I never had a problem.  I
never heard of anyone else who had a problem either.

                    wl