Diesel fuel bug

I don't like spam! spam.spam at spam.spam.com
Thu Aug 26 14:02:44 EST 1999

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999 10:59:21 -0400, "David Lloyd-Jones"
<icomm5 at netcom.ca> wrote:

>Old Anglo <arthur at scots-land.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:37c43f64.3565325 at news.demon.co.uk...
>> A recent phenomenon is the appearance of a 'bug', possibly a bacteria,
>that grows in
>> diesel fuel.  Has anyone any information on this 'bug' or can anyone point
>me in the
>> direction of an information source.
>

>I suspect that this thing is a developing urban legend, but still it's fun
>to contemplate. If we had a deisel bug today, could a tire bug be far
>behind?  :-)  Hey, and then how about a bug that eats the polymer matrix for
>fibreglass composites!
>
>                                                   -dlj.

Don't laugh. As far as a "tire bug" goes, there are some termites that
CAN munch on your Michelens (sp?). And there ARE petroleum eating
bugs, but AFAIK there has to be a lot more water as a matrix for them
than petroleum; you couldn't say drop some into a tank with little or
no water and mostly petroleum (such as the diesel tank of a truck) and
have them eat away.