antibiotics

Kostas Polyzonis polyzon at med.auth.gr
Sun Aug 22 23:05:41 EST 1999

Gary Lum <glum at ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
37BD2C7D.7B4FBF5A at ozemail.com.au...
>Joan Marie Shields wrote:
>
>> People can only develop antibodies to organisms that they have been
>> exposed to - via vaccination or to exposure.  I can't give you a food-
>> borne pathogen example but I can give you two others: polio outbreaks
>> in the US and the diptheria outbreak in the former Soviet Union in
>> 1990.
>
>Human Rotavirus is a reasonable example where mucous membrane antibodies
>are produced.

I'm not an expert but aren't antibodies only produced if a bug goes
systemic?
Can we develop resistance to bugs that dodn't actually get in the
bloodstream (under normal circumstances) like S.Typhimurium or other
foodborne bacteria?
In ways other than keeping a healthy populus commensal flora to antagonize
the pathogens, that is.
Kostas Polyzonis