Agar alternatives

Bob bbruner at uclink4.berkeley.edu
Sat Aug 21 21:24:50 EST 1999

On Sat, 21 Aug 1999 19:08:24 -0500, h craig c kuettner
<kuettner at students.uiuc.edu> wrote:

>I am looking for alternatives to agar which can be used to solidify media.
>I would prefer something inorganic, but I am really looking for almost
>anything now.  I have heard that there are silica gels, but I cannot find
>them in any catalog.  Thanks,

posted and emailed

Suggest get P Gerhardt et al, Methods for General and Molecular
Bacteriology. This is an ASM book, and i would hope it is in your
library. I have 1994 book; not sure if there is a newer one.

Ch 9 discusses solid media, with some recipes and references. These
include use of silica gel, which is indeed the common non-organic
solidifying agent.

One key  ref for silica gel, with lots of info...

Methods in Microbiol Vol 3A, p 229.

bob