antibiotics

Gary Lum glum at ozemail.com.au
Fri Aug 20 05:22:53 EST 1999

Joan Marie Shields wrote:

> People can only develop antibodies to organisms that they have been
> exposed to - via vaccination or to exposure.  I can't give you a food-
> borne pathogen example but I can give you two others: polio outbreaks
> in the US and the diptheria outbreak in the former Soviet Union in
> 1990.

Human Rotavirus is a reasonable example where mucous membrane antibodies
are produced.

> >2. a number of large outbreaks may not be prevented by refrigeration, is
> >that not so?

Listeria and Yersinia both grow well at refrigerator temperatures.

Gary

Dr Gary Lum, Director of Pathology, Royal Darwin Hospital
Microbiologists do it with culture and sensitivity
http://www.ozemail.com.au/~glum/
mailto:glum at ozemail.com.au

 Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/