antibiotics

ianj ianj at zipworld.com.au
Thu Aug 19 06:27:57 EST 1999

ecoli at cix.compulink.co.uk wrote in message
<7pf60l$hse$1 at plutonium.compulink.co.uk>...
>Right on the comment makers.
>There IS too much b......t put about concerning hygiene and most of it
>is misdirected.
>
>Excessive hygiene in the wrong place seems to lead to children having
>poor immunological systems which drop them in trouble when poor hygiene
>does strike.(Usually from the dud end of the food industry)
>
>On food hygiene, I have a theory that much of the epidemic of food
>poisoning that seems to be hitting the UK and USA is connected to the
>advent of food supermarkets and especially "out-of town" food markets.
>The scenario works like this. Everyone is very busy working long hours
>and no time for frequent food shopping (contrast continental Europe). So
>you take the car the supermarket once a week (or even once a fortnight),
>bring back loads and loads of food AND CRAM THE FRIDGE UNTIL IT CAN'T
>WORK PROPERLY.
>
>I would love to have the authority to empower a force of "food police"
>to have right of entry to check the temperatures of domestic
>refridgerators. I think the explanation for "food poisoning epidemics"
>would soon appear.

I want to ask Peter:

1. is the evidence to support the 'hygienic food' leads to 'poor immunity'
theory?
2. a number of large outbreaks may not be prevented by refrigeration, is
that not so?
3. do you also believe that 'hygienic food' gives pathogens the opportunity
to grow to higher levels than they would otherwise (no competition)? Do you
have evidence for that?

Ian Jenson