Lactose Monensin Glucoronate Agar media for coliform detection ?

Michel Desbiens mdesbien at agr.gouv.qc.ca
Wed Aug 4 10:14:10 EST 1999

I frequently use membrane filtration systems to enumerate microorgamisms in
foods. I have been told by a distributor to use LMG (Lactose Monensin
Glucoronate Agar) for the enumeration of coliforms (and with glucose for
enterobacteriaceaes) for a HGMF procedure. I am not familiar with monensin.
Does anybody have positive experience with this media, or with the use of
monensin as a selective reagent ?

Thank you

Michel Desbiens
Centre Technologique des Produits Aquatiques
Gaspe, Quebec