Endotoxin test

Achim Recktenwald, PhD ARecktenwald at StressGen.com
Tue Aug 3 15:42:03 EST 1999

Endotoxins (ET)are everywhere; it's usually a lot of work to get rid of
them.

In addition to the 'true' ET, lipopolysacchardides, there are a lot of other
compounds that react positively in ET-assays; e.g., certain detergents (some
of which  are also used for the production of shampoos, tooth paste, etc.)
give false positives.

The usual ET-assays are too unspecific and also too sensitive for your
purposes. You probably would easily find meaningless astronomical values in
Endotoxin Units in your house with these assays, which were developed for
the demands of   the pharmaceutical industry.

What you should look for is a more specific assay, that can distinguish
between LPS and other compounds.

Good luck,

Achim

news:fzlp3.99$X9.293788 at NewsRead.Toronto.iSTAR.net...