micro lab advice for mission trip

idtech at my-deja.com idtech at my-deja.com
Mon Aug 2 17:07:43 EST 1999

I am a Med Tech who will be participating in Feb2000 on a short
term medical service trip to Central America. I am looking for practical
hints/advice from anyone who has experience in a low-technology setting.
I have been asked to be prepared for AFB stains, Wright/Geimsa stains
 for malaria, parasite exams, Gram stains, Urine dipsticks, etc. I am
 told that the site has a microscope, but not much else. I will have to
hand-carry virtually everything else I need. I'd be glad for advice on
everything from transporting the acetone/alcohol on a commercial
airline, to "quick and dirty" or "improvised" methods - just in case I
can't take along everything I need. Thanks for any help.

Kathy

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/