IUBio

Second approach to simple questions!

med.student! alagor at euroweb.hu
Sat Sep 26 13:55:22 EST 1998

Some nice chap responded already to my first answer, but unfortunetly I
still didnt recieve the answer to my second question. Since it might be a
little bit harder to understand (i.e. my grammar wasnt the best, I hope that
this second approach might make you people understand what I meant with the
second question, and also help me answer my third question)

What I meant is based on the theory of E.Schnepf (1965), which in German
is called the Kompartimentierungsregel (that's the way its printed on my
test-questions). The rule states that a non-plasmatic (and that's were my
problem lies) phase is divided through a biological membrane from a
so-called plasmatic phase. In between two membranes is that so-called
non-plasmatic phase. Yet, the only thing I can come up with is that there is
just one membrane, in-between two hydrophil phases there is the lipophil
phase (fatty acids).

Therefore my question is;
1) What is a non-plasmatic phase, and where are two membranes...that's
kinnda confusing (the theory is confusing).

Here is another question somebody could help me answer:
2 a) What is the function of the alpha-helices by interpheriphial (hope its
correct in english) membran proteins?
2 b) What role do amphilic (or amphatic=a lipophil and a hydrophil
character) helices play?
2 c) Do you find also find non-amphatic helices?

Help!

- med.Student who has his bio-exam (oral) in two weeks!!!!!!!!