IUBio

S. warneri vs. S. xylosus

Yersinia yersinia at CYBERNEX.NET
Fri Sep 18 21:44:06 EST 1998

Hello everyone,

Can anyone suggest a test (or 2 or 3) which would differentiate
Staphylococcus warneri from Staphylococcus xylosus? I would think xylose
is one, but here is why I ask:

A senior colleague of mine went to see the Riboprinter this week. He took
three organisms which I had identified with Vitek. Two were
Staphylococcus haemolyticus, and they checked out on the Riboprinter too.
The third one, however, had ID'ed on Vitek as 97% S. warneri/3% S.
xylosus. According to the Riboprinter, it was S. xylosus. I'm curious
(and so is my colleague) to try some additional supplemental testing,
although I may run a repeat Vitek on it as well.

Thank you kindly for your help.

Infectionately,
Yersinia.