IUBio

Hydrogen Sulfide and Cyanobacteria

aquastrat at red2000.com.mx aquastrat at red2000.com.mx
Thu Oct 29 21:57:34 EST 1998

As far as I knew, a salt water shrimp culture pond bottom’s natural brown
color sometimes turns black  because the insoluble ferric form of iron
becomes reduced to black ferrous form under anoxic conditions (caused by
sedimentation of organic matter),  meaning that the black color was in the
inorganic part of the substrate, then yesterday I had my hands full of what
seemed to be a decomposing mass of cyanobacteria and it had the same hydrogen
sulfide smell and black color than the apparently inorganic part of the soil.
¿Does the black color and hydrogen sulfide smell comes also from the
decomposing cyanobacteria?. Some cyanobacteria use reduced sulfur compounds
in their energetic metabolism, ¿Does this means that when they die they
create a bigger problem deteriorating the bottom conditions because they
increase the amount of hydrogen sulfide more than when a diatom bloom
crashes? In my experience it is clear that oxidizing the black substrate
(turning it over several times to expose it to air) returns the soil its
naturally brown color but ¿Does this soil has more propensity to produce in
the future hydrogen sulfide in larger quantities than before it experienced
this problem?

I thank you beforehand for your kind help.

Mateo Avila