IUBio

Cell history

Qaxaa fly_leader at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 11 23:01:05 EST 1998

Some questions about the discovery of cell organelles and technologies that
led to it... I couldn't find anything on these for this cell project I need
to do(yeah, I'm in high school).  by the way, the answers don't have to be
in extreme detail.  Also, any pictures of the people involved would be
magnificant!!  I'd appreciate it! THANKS!!
plz, respond by Tuesday Oct 13... :)  at this address for any pictures:
kaodenis at isl.ab.ca...
A) MICROTOME
All I know is His invented it and Purkinje was the first to use it...
anything else please?
Which type of microtome is used for specimens to be viewed under a light
microscope?
Any info on rotary, sliding, freezing and ultramicrotome?
B) STAINS
Who first developed stains for cell research?
Who else used stains(including those who used a particular stain for the
first time) for organelles?
C) FREEZE FRACTURE TECHNIQUES
Who developed these and when were these developed?
1.  NUCLEOLUS
Who discovered it and when?
Who else is involved with it in any significant way(e.g. the person-or
people-who discovered that the nucleolus assembled ribosomes)?
What techniques/technologies(of this list: light microscopes, electron
microscopes, stains, microtomes, freeze-fracture, centrifuges) were used to
enhance our knowledge of this organelle?
2. NUCLEUS
What techniques/technologies were used to enhance our knowledge of this
organelle(in the 20th century)?
Who is involved, in the 20th century, in enhancing our knowledge of the
nucleus?
3. RIBOSOME
Who discovered it and when and with what technique/technology?
4.  ER
Who first noted it(all I know is it was first noted in the late 1800s) and
with what technique/technology?
What did Scarth do that is important regarding the ER?
5. CENTRIOLES
What techniques/technologies were used to help understand this organelle?
6.  BASAL BODIES
Who discovered them, when and with what?
Who else helped increase our knowledge of basal bodies?
7. PEROXISOME
Is there anyone else who has done significant research with peroxisomes
besides de Duve?
8. LYSOSOME
Is there anyone else who has done significant research with peroxisomes
besides de Duve?
9. CILIUM/FLAGELLUM
Anything on people involved with discovering, understanding these!
10.  MEMBRANE
Anything on people involved with discovering, understanding these!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!